Drapes and blinds are tried-and-true window decorations that work well with many home interiors. However, sometimes you’d rather not hide the view and let the windows themselves act as a defining design element. When it comes to adding character to your windows, you have options. Here are six popular window dressings for home interiors:
1. Sophisticated Moldings and Casings--These design flourishes give your windows a classic allure without obstructing the view.
2. Shelving--A popular trend with some homeowners is to install shelving along their windows. This allows you to have more storage space without feeling too boxed in.
3. Window Grilles--Grilles create an attractive colonial or diamond pattern on the panes with minimal obstruction of the view.
4. Layered Windows--If you want to decorate your walls without blocking the natural light, try layering your windows with mirrors or paintings. A layered window creates a personalized decorative feel while preserving the sense of openness that sunlight creates.
5. Black or Dark Green Sashes--Your window’s sashes are the parts that hold the glass in place. By painting the sashes black or dark green, you transform your windows into bold yet elegant frames displaying the view to the outdoors like a work of art.
6. Interior Hinged Shutters--Hinged shutters provide several benefits while highlighting your decor. They can offer privacy and help to control light. Shutters add value to your home while saving energy costs by adding a measure of insulation.